For our first period dish, we’ll be making a vegetarian or meat chilli. This dish is especially good to make ahead of time, up to 3 days before, in order for the flavors to mingle and spread through the ingredients.
Chilli ingredients; 1 can each of Black and Red kidney beans, 3 Tomatoes, 2 Green bell peppers, 2 large Carrots, 2 Celeri, 1 Onions, 2 Sweet potato, a handful of button mushrooms, 1 zuchinni, 2 tbls of tomato paste, 1 Dried Chipotle chilli and/or 1 Dried Ancho chillis(you can get the last two ingredients in other formats), tbls Cumin powder, 1teaspoon Coriander powder, 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds, Cayenne powder, chilli powder, 1 teaspoon curri powder, 1 teaspoon fennel seeds,a bay leaf, a Cinnamon stick, and finally beef, chicken or veggie stock,
If you want to add meat I would recommend a mix of ground Veal, Beef and Porc. You can also add spicy mexican sausage pieces instead of the ground meat.
Cooking the chilli:
- Make a mirepoix; a evenly and finelly chopped mix of onions, carrots and celeri
- roughly chop garlic
- Cut the rest of vegetables, including more carrots and celeri, into larger bite sized pieces,
- in a Deep Cooking pot, heat about 2 tbls or olive oil over med. high heat. Add mirepoix and garlic
- When the onions are translucent but not browned add Meat now if you’re using any, and if you’re not, add spices; cumin, coriander, curri, cayenne and hot chilli powders, also add mustard seeds and fennel seeds, —( if you can, over low heat warm the spices in a non-stick skilet)
- after about 30 secs of the spices cooking in the oil and mirepoix, add tomatoes, tomato paste, beans, bay leaf, cinnamon stick— here you’re cooking with the tomato’s juices; reduce
- When it’s starting to get thicker, and looks like it could use some liquid, add the other vegetables, cover the whole pot with liquid; either water, red wine, a dark beer;guiness for example, or stock, and add the dried chipotle and ancho chillis(whole or powdered in a grinder… You can also let them soak in hot water or even better–Warm rhum and grind them into a paste instead of a powder)
- let simmer until the vegetables are cooked through and serve whenever you want
When serving the chilli, you can either serve it in a big pot on the table where where everyone can dig in or serve in in individual bowls.
You can also add cheese, and sour cream if you want.